5 songs you will definitely hear on your Belize vacation
Belizeans’ taste in music is just about as eclectic as you can get. From Soca to Classic Country, from Reggae to Rock, Punta or American Pop- you’ll hear it all played and enjoyed here. Don’t believe me? Ride the Ritchie’s bus and prepare yourself for musical whiplash (and maybe real whiplash, some of those drivers are nuts). Though you will hear a wide variety of music played in Belize, there are a few songs that stand out to me in particular. I can’t seem to escape them! I hear them from car windows, from stereos at construction sites, at bars and restaurants and boom boxes on the beach. I hear these 5 songs EVERYWHERE! Keep your ears open and I’m sure you will too.
- Gyal You A Party Animal by Charly Black This is a fun party song that just begs to be danced to! “Me want you come whine your waistline for me. Baby you bubblin, you bubblin, you bubblin baby” Love it! https://youtu.be/xPeIm20TYjI
- Cheaters Prayer by Chris Martin Oh my god! This song is so funny. This man is asking the Lord for the strength to avoid cheating on his girlfriend but… “Lord if you can’t stop me from cheating, just don’t let me get caught. No, no, no, don’t let me get caught” https://youtu.be/LWgPkKpPtKk
- Bruk Off Yuh Back by Konshens Another great dance song to get the party popping. The lyrics are pretty simple: bruk off yuh back and knowing yuh got the glue (whatever that means??) but it’s somehow so catchy and the beat is infectious https://youtu.be/jlZtAUBSJSo
- Lucy by Destra Almost as funny as asking God to not let you get caught cheating on your GF, this song is the story of a good girl who got a bad reputation when she started dancing too provocatively. https://youtu.be/GGvQ4zRHMLo
- One Love by Bob Marley You probably expect to hear this, and really all of Bob Marley’s greatest hits, on your Caribbean vacation and you will! It’s sentiment of ‘lets get together and feel alright’ is hopeful and uplifting and timeless. https://youtu.be/vdB-8eLEW8g
Love ’em or hate ’em, what songs do you hear ALL the time? Tell me in the comments. *thanks DJ Boneyfide for the great picture
2 thoughts on “5 songs you will definitely hear on your Belize vacation”
The song from Moana, the Disney movie. Also “beauty and the beast” songs and “nightmare before Christmas” tunes. I think I’ve been hanging around a 5 yr old too long. When I get there I’ll sing to you my Dear….you used to love “somewhere over the rainbow” and if your happy and you know it. Betcha can’t wait.
can NOT wait!